Yield: 4 servings
|Vine tomatoes||6 each|
|Yellow onion, ¼” dice||1 each|
|Zucchini, ¼” dice||1 each|
|Green bell pepper, ¼” dice||1 each|
|Olive oil, divided||3 Tbsp.|
|Black pepper||1 tsp.|
|Sea salt||3 tsp.|
|Field Roast Italian Sausage Crumble||½ lb.|
|Breadcrumbs, divided||¾ cup|
|Tomato paste||1 Tbsp.|
|Garlic, peeled, minced||2 cloves|
- Slice top off each tomato. Scoop out insides, membrane and seeds. Place insides into a fine mesh sieve or screen over a bowl and squeeze contents through; set aside. Separate membrane from the rest of the tomato.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- In a skillet over medium heat, add onion, zucchini, bell pepper, 2 tablespoons olive oil, pepper and salt. Sauté, stirring occasionally for 5 minutes. Add Italian Sausage Crumble and continue cooking for another 5-7 minutes or until sausage is heated throughout; remove from heat. Add breadcrumbs, reserving ¼ cup; stir to combine.
- Spoon filling into each tomato until full, while gently pressing filling to ensure tomato is adequately stuffed.
- Arrange tomatoes in a baking dish. Top each with remaining breadcrumbs and drizzle with remaining olive oil; bake for 20 minutes.
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, combine juice from tomatoes with tomato paste, oregano, sugar and garlic; whisk to combine. Stirring occasionally, allow mixture to reduce by one quarter; remove from heat and strain.
- Serve baked tomatoes, ladling a small amount of tomato jus mixture over each.