Yield: 4 servings
|Safflower oil||2 Tbsp.|
|Yellow onion, diced||1 each|
|Carrot, ¼” dice||1 each|
|Celery, ¼” dice||2 stalks|
|Garlic, minced||3 cloves|
|Sea salt, divided||4 Tbsp.|
|Thyme, fresh||2 tsp.|
|Chili powder||2 tsp.|
|Bay leaf||2 each|
|Split peas||1 lb.|
|Vegetable stock||6 cups|
|Leeks, cleaned, thinly sliced||2 each|
|Olive oil, divided||3 Tbsp.|
|Field Roast Spicy Mexican Chipotle Sausage Links or Crumble||4 each|
- In a stockpot over medium heat, add safflower oil, onion, carrot, celery, garlic and 1 Tbsp. salt. Allow veggies to cook, stirring occasionally for 10-15 minutes or until onions have become translucent.
- Add thyme and bay leaves; stir. When mixture becomes fragrant with thyme, add split peas, vegetable stock and 2 Tbsp. salt; stir. Increase to medium-high heat and cover; cook for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat to low-medium; stir occasionally for another 30-35 minutes or until peas have lost their shape and soup is smooth. Taste and adjust salt to taste.
- While soup is cooking, in a small skillet over medium heat, add leeks, remaining salt and 2 Tbsp. olive oil. Sauté mixture for 5-7 minutes or until leeks become visibly soft. Add tarragon; stir. Reduce to low heat; cook for 20-25 minutes, stirring occasionally until leeks are lightly caramelized. Remove from heat; set aside.
- If using Spicy Mexican Chipotle Sausage Crumble, toss crumble with cooked leeks.
- If using Spicy Mexican Chipotle Sausage Links, brush sausages with safflower oil. Place sausages directly on a grill over medium-high heat for 3-4 minutes per side or until heated throughout and charred on the outside for additional smoky flavor and texture. Slice sausages on a bias.
- Top each bowl of soup with sausage and leek mixture; serve.